Skip to content
Community Mini Buses

Community Minibuses

There are community minibuses available to borrow by groups in the Upper Tay area.

The Upper Tay Transport project encourages the use of these minibuses for groups in order to reduce the number of vehicles on the road and therefore benefitting the environment and to enable more trips and activities to happen.

 Borrowing a Community Minibus

Perth and Kinross Minibus

Make, size, location: Ford Transit, seats 16, Breadalbane Academy
Criteria for use of minibus: Section 19 Permit, Driver to have D1 category on licence and MIDAS training.
Booking procedure:
Contact information: Brian Martin – Minibus coordinator
Email: [email protected]Telephone: 01738 477374



Section 19 Permit

What is a Section 19 permit?

Organisations that provide transport on a ‘not-for-profit’ basis can apply for permits under Section 19 of the Transport Act 1985. These permits allow the holder to operate transport services for hire or reward without the need for a full public service vehicle (PSV) operator’s licence.
Section 19 permits are either ‘standard permits’ for vehicles which are adapted to carry no more than 16 passengers (excluding the driver) or ‘large bus permits’ for vehicles which are adapted to carry 17 or more passengers. These permits may be granted to organisations that operate vehicles without a view to profit to transport their members, or people whom the organisation exists to help. Section 19 permit vehicles can’t be used to carry members of the general public.

Where can I get a Section 19 permit?

The Permit TeamVOSAHillcrest House, 386 Harehills Lane, Leeds, LS9 6NF
Permit Enquiries – 0113 2543209E-Mail – [email protected]
Section 19 standard permits can also be issued by the Community Transport Association (CTA) as they are a designated body, and are only allowed to issue permits to members.  CTA members can download the section 19 permit application form by logging in to the members area of their website.

How much do they cost?

Section 19 standard permits cost £11.00 if you obtain them from the VOSA or from the CTA. You will need to ensure that your organisation continues to be a member of the CTA as they may revoke a Section 19 permit should your membership lapse.
Further information at


What is MiDAS?

MiDAS is the Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme, administered by the Community Transport Association (CTA).
The scheme provides a nationally recognised standard for the assessment and training of minibus drivers and has been designed to enhance minibus driving standards and promote the safer operation of minibuses. MiDAS is available to any organisation operating or using minibuses. Organisations that train their drivers in MiDAS range from small voluntary organisations with one vehicle, to local authorities operating large fleets of minibuses as well as schools, colleges and universities.

How do I do a MiDAS training?

Training available from a range of providers including

Perth & Kinross Council, Fiona McNicol 
Fleet & Training Assistant
[email protected]
01738 477119
Or Blairgowrie and District Next Steps,


– the future

Upper Tay Transport are keen to look at offering better transport in the area. We may be able to offer community bus services to smaller communities. See our Community Bus Service page for further information

Smarter Choices, Smarter Places Logo
Community Fund Logo
Perth and Kinross Council Logo
Funded by SSE